Monday, March 19, 2012

La Chicana Chingona...

Sometimes I don’t understand how a person can hate their own race. I mean every race has its screw ups and people that make us look terrible but lately i have been seeing and hearing the most disgusting things… and think we are the reason that no one takes us seriously!
 I am LA CHICANA CHINGONA! I am proud of my beautiful brown skin and I tell my son that he has the most beautiful Aztec Gold skin because well he does it’s like he radiates beauty and it also might be that I’m bias since I am his mother and all. I have a few friends that I have known for years and sometimes their posts on facebook or the things that come out of their mouths bewilder me with the question…. How can you say that about your own ppl?
Don’t get me wrong I am a very proud American so proud in fact that I decided that I would stand for its freedom when I enlisted in the ARMY back in 2006. With that being said I know that I come from somewhere and this land that I walk on everyday was not once ours. I know that I am truly blessed to live in this great country but I also know that I am truly blessed to be of Mexican descent. 

  I understand why there are certain laws and rules and have no issues with them but at the same time I understand why ppl come to America I understand the struggle because I have lived it. I grew up on the Southside of El Paso TX or as we like to call it Chuco Town.  In the Segundo barrio I grew up in a small 1 ½ bedroom apartment with seven other women. My grandmother was the head of our home and she ruled it with an iron fist, but I knew why she was so assertive I knew why she always told us that no man was going to come our way and take care of us we had to be able to fend for ourselves. She was the single mother of 6 girls my mother having me at the age of 16 didn’t really help the whole living situation but my grandmother loved me endlessly she babied me and cuddled with me said the most beautiful things to me and for that I will always be grateful .



I am grateful for those three jobs she held down, for those beans burritos she put in my belly, and those French braids she made me rock… I am grateful for the nights of loteria, and the chanclas to my butt when I was a grosera. I thank her for the bus rides, hand me downs, and Bowie bakery pan con leche before bed… she made me the person I am today… and I thank her the most for the struggle that she endured so that I can sit here and listen to my iTunes and drink my café de olla…. 

 I remember living in fear of the border patrol officers that used to patrol our areas even though I was an American all the ppl that I knew would hide and run as soo as someone said “LA MIGRA!” I remember the cold white face my grandmother would get when she would be walking home and a patrol car would drive by her. She has always been the bravest person I know. When I hear ppl say that we should close our borders because of this immigrant problem and then see that they too are of Mexican descent I chuckle because with those statements they are taking for granted the struggle that someone else has endured for them…  I love seeing that Mexican American who names their kids American names and tell them that mexicans are dirty and law breakers...but they can get down on an enchilada plate when it’s put in front of them. That same person will encourage their kiddos to check the Hispanic box when applying to college. Might as well use it for something right? Hahaha… I love my husband Jorge who hates to be called George, my sons Diego and Tenoch who are proud Americans while they sport their guayaberas that their abuela got for them in Mexico.
My boys say Jefa, papi, and Orale!... love titi and their abuela, they get down on those bean burritos and tortas while quenching their thirst with some agua de horchata!
 they make me so proud every day... they are aztec gold and ill beat down anyone who calls them dirty beaners... because we are BROWN AND PROUD!
There is nothing wrong with loving this wonderful country… but also there is nothing wrong with loving yourself and where you came from. It’s sad that some ppl don’t know the love of being Chicano, the culture, the art, the food, the PRIDE! I hope that my children carry on this love and traditions… I hope their heart is not contaminated by the hate of those that may look like them… but are no where near as honorable…
 Hate is not honor it’s IGNORANT!

No comments: