Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tooth Fairy Currency



Well it seems that my little baby is all grown up! His tooth has fallen and so have a few of my tears, :( But now that its happened I want him to have an awesome memory! So had the idea of getting unusual money to make tooth fairy currency to make it more magical. Its not rare collectible type stuff but just something that he doesn't see on an everyday basis. Now the tutorial that I'm making isn't his original first tooth. Its what I had to do after I learned from the first one that I decided to make this tutorial. The first time that he lost a tooth I made him this beautiful drawstring pouch with a felt tooth sown on the front of the pouch it was soooo cute!! It was such a hit that he wanted to carry it everywhere we went because he was so indecisive of his purchase. It was such a hit that HE LOST IT! HAHAHA. So I decided to do something more kid friendly this time around.


 Once this second tooth became loose he was constantly on high alert about when it was going to fall off! Every morning I was briefed on the loose tooth situation. Time went by and nothing happened, so we kind of just forgot about it when we decided to visit family in Boston for a 4-day weekend. That night we got an update on the tooth! It was time he said... and I went into panic mode! of course I could of just tossed some change under his pillow and he wouldn't of cared either way... its all about the loot!

However... I am "THAT MOM" you know the one people are always rolling their eyes at when my kid has this super awesome unique backpack, or that mom who makes cute bento box lunches with special notes and beautiful shape food, or "THAT MOM" who some how made a giant pinata for his class pinata contest at school. (its supposed to be a grenade)


 I am the mom that has to take a picture of everything because I swear I'm going to put it in a scrapbook one day! YES ladies and gentlemen I am that annoying mom, and I wear it proudly. so with that being said, him losing a tooth and not waking up to a beautiful little pouch full of "magic" money was just not something that was going to happen... not on my annoying mom watch haha!

Here is the Dollar Tree supply list:

  • Elmer's Glue 
  • Fine glitter (not big chunky glitter)
  • a small paint brush
  • organza pouch


most of the list can be avoided if you find SPRAY ON GLITTER either glitter glue or the one for your hair. I however was not able to find it at our dollar store so i decided that i was going to use what i had on hand (from my last dollar store shopping spree hehe) and not waste gas or money. However you will need to get the pouches. They are usually in the wedding or baby shower section of Dollar Tree

Bank list
unique currency ( i used dollar gold coins, and two dollar bills this time) best place to get unique money is.... you guessed it at a bank! I would get at least $20 worth to make pre made tooth fairy pouches that you will have on hand for a while... no searching under couch cushions for tooth fairy money :). My mom being the wonderful grandmother that she is wanted to contribute to this Magic Currency idea so she actually funded my plan LOL I know many grandmothers also love to be included in these type of moments! So don't be shy tell your mom or mother in law about your plan and most will love it and jump at the chance... if you don't have that type of relationship with them just go to the bank lol

Ideas for unique currency 

  • 50 cent pieces
  • Silver dollars, 
  • $5 gift card to their favorite ice cream place
  •  chuck e cheese tokens.

I would use anything that my child considers "valuable" and make it a coupon. such as Screen time coupons 
( my kids can earn computer or video game time with chores or good deeds), movie night coupons, or even book store coupons. I know some moms don't really want "money" type treats so you can pretty much make any kind of coupon and add glitter to it haha.







  1. You do not need a ton of glue just a nickle size blob will do the trick


2. Spread it out for a nice thin layer 


3. Sprinkle the fine glitter a little will go a long way because you want the money to be visible. ( I only do the front of the bill not the back just in case it is questioned at the store they can use the counterfeit pen to make sure its real)


4. The glue will dry clear and you will have this pretty glitter bill ( i am aware that money is government property please spare me the lectures)


6. I purchased a pack of six organza bags and distributed the gold coins some have more than others but i will be putting my coupons or two dollar bills inside also. its up to you how much you want to give i think one for every year is good. My son is five so he will get five dollars in total the first tooth he got six but that was just because i was excited lol


7. Save for future tooth fairy moments! I will have a few in my purse to send with my mom just in case my son spends the night and loses a tooth, or if we take a trip and there is a loose tooth situation again I also add a little receipt or note from the tooth fairy my first one was hand written but since have looked on pinterest and found very pretty FREE PRINTABLE so go ahead follow me on pinterest!! 

No comments: